Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Exposed garlic

On Feb. 25th
The middle row of my main garlic field had a lot of garlic that heaved out of the ground this winter. This photo was taken on Feb 25th, before I pushed them back into the soil. The heaving was caused by extreme cold (-16 degrees) and wetter than usual soil (from September flooding). On top of that we had our usual high winds after the snow melted. The largest cloves were affected the most.
Most of the cloves had roots that were still semi-attached to the soil. These ones should be fine since the garlic cloves will actually pull themselves back into the soil. Others had no roots, or the roots were totally exposed. Most of these garlics will still grow, but I expect the bulbs to be smaller.
The heaved up garlic is about 10% of the crop, so hopefully the other 90% of the harvest will still be bountiful!
My smaller field has early garlic with about 3-4" of growth that looks beautiful.

Same row March 21st
What a difference a month makes!
Look at the updated photo taken on March 21st! Almost all the garlic is back to normal.