It's been so nice to see all our favorite garlic customers over the last 3 weeks! And some new ones, too. In the beginning of the garlic selling season we concentrate on selling the garlics that don't store as long, and have the best flavor when they're freshest. Tzan, Uzbek Turban, and German Extra Hardy all are at their best right now, and taste extra good with Pesto, Bruschetta, Guacamole, Hummous, Gazpacho, Fresh tomato sauce and Fresh Salsa. And of course our favorite preparation- sliced very thin on crackers or tomatoes.
Here is a list of the main kinds we've been selling so far with the corresponding color codes:
• Killarney Red- Fabulous garlic for garlic bread! Mellow, smooth flavor when cooked- rich and spicy raw. A Rocambole hardneck variety that peels easily. Won’t keep long, eat by Oct. GREEN
• Brown Tempest- Robust garlic flavor for true garlic lovers. A very strong, tangy quality when used raw for appetizers & salads. Mellower, but delicious when cooked. Perfect with potatoes, meats & stews. Stores to December BROWN
• German Extra Hardy- Great sliced raw, an addictive garlic taste, with full flavor. Big, easy to peel cloves. Excellent in red sauce: put in at end of heating. Loses flavor if cooked too long. Will keep through November. BLUE
• Chesnok Red- Excellent-tasting hard neck garlic, originally from the Republic of Georgia. Earthy with a unique zesty bite. For roasting or sauteeing. Stores to December. PINK
• Inchelium Red- Softneck that is excellent for roasting. Discovered on the Colville Indian Reservation in Washington State. One of the best-tasting softneck garlics with a mild but lingering flavor. Stores til January. RED
• Persian Star- Spicy, exotic, and very flavorful. Try on salads, in dips or in pesto. Great with green beans and veggies or raw on crackers! Stores through December. NO COLOR
• Shantung Purple- Extra-flavorful chinese softneck has 6-8 beautiful rose and beige cloves. Strong earthy flavor cooked, or eat raw for a fiery heat you won’t forget! Stores to Nov. PURPLE
• Uzbek Turban- Delightful mellow flavor. Excellent choice for gazpacho, bruschetta, fresh tomato sauce. A hardneck Turban from former USSR. Harvests very early. Stores to Nov., sprouts early but stays firm. TURQUOISE
• Tzan - (Also called “Mexican Red”). Superb Taste & EASY to Peel! Tangy & flavorful with pasta and for oriental cooking. A delicious raw garlic. Will stay firm through November, but often sprouts early. YELLOW
Note: This Garlic is for eating. If planted it must be treated with hot water soak first.